World Space Week Association
The World Space Week Association (WSWA) began promoting Spaceweek, a celebration of the first Moon landing, each July, since 1980. The first celebration in Houston that year was led by Ernie Hillje, Troy Welch, David Koch, and Dennis Stone. In 1981 they formed Spaceweek National Headquarters to organize a nationwide celebration in the United States. By 1999 Spaceweek had spread to over 15 nations, when the UN General Assembly declared “World Space Week”.
Today, the World Space Week Association proudly supports the UN in the global coordination of World Space Week, each October 4–10. The World Space Week Association is led by a dedicated team of officers and volunteers, that facilitates and coordinates a large global network of volunteers. The Association also holds a Permanent Observer position in the United Nations Committee on the Peaceful Uses of Outer Space, where the results of World Space Week are reported back every year.
The Association mostly relies on the work of its National Coordinators to organize and report on World Space Week events held around the globe.
Executive Team (click name for short bio):
Executive Director (Interim): Goran Nikolasevic (HR)
- Vice President Strategy: Michel Laffaiteur (FR)
- Vice President Middle East: Ali Al-Mashat (FR)
- Treasurer: Marcia Gilbert (US)
- Strategic Partnership Manager: Olga Stelmakh (UA)
- National Coordinator Manager: Armengol Torres (ES)
- Education Manager: Erin Macdonald (US)
- Office Manager: Marcia Gilbert (US)
- Accounting Firm: Baker Crane (Stuart Crane – UK)
- Communications and Media Relations Manager: Hassam Khan (PK)
- Social Media Manager: Talia Landman (US)
- Database Administrator: Ksenia Lisitcyna (RU)
- Content Contributor and Astronomy Coordinator: Ramasamy Venugopal (ZA)
- Washington Rep: Angela Peura (US)
- Media Relations Support: Sathesh Raj (MAL)
- Highlights Editor: Reuben Jikeme (WAN)