World Space Week 2015
Events of 2015
Highlights of World Space Week 2015
Events throughout the world will celebrate, educate and inspire the general public and children about Space and its benefits to humankind during World Space Week this year. Please find a few key events highlighted below. You can also view the detailed event calendar. WSW2015 Annual Report you can find here.
- Inmarsat is powering communications from the Rosetta spacecraft and robot probe Philae as they transmit images and critical scientific data from the Comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko. Full article of Inmarsat’s World Space Week support
- Facebook is going to space! Now, and rather appropriately during World Space Week, the entrepreneur-come-philanthropist, Mark Zuckerberg, has set his sites beyond earth.
- The Martian A film by Ridley Scott opens in over 60 nations during the WSW period. World Space Week Association is working with 20th Century Fox to plan special screenings and educational outreach throughout the Globe via the WSW National Coordinators. Click here to view The Martian on IMDB
- ESTEC’s 2015 Open Day takes place on Sunday 4 October to mark the 58th anniversary of the launch of Sputnik, as part of the Netherlands’ national Weekend of Science and World Space Week. Register to visit ESTEC at: www.military-technologies.net/2015/07/31/register-to-visit-estec/
- UNAWE is conducting a seminar during World Space Week for teachers. More details to follow.
- SkyLight, an official project of UNESCOs International Year of Light 2015, is a global science opera which, coordinated by the CREAT-IT project, will perform the Skylight Space Opera across, at least, 32 nations simultaneously during World Space Week. www.creatit-project.eu/news/234
- Israel is hosting the grand finale WSW 2015 Tweet-Up on October 10 in Jerusalem.
- United Kingdom is launching educational resources, across the country, in preparation of British ESA astronaut, Major Tim Peake’s Principia Mission to the ISS. More information is available at: www.bis-space.com/wsw
- In Northern Ireland, UK, NASA Astronaut Greg Johnston will begin their World Space Week celebrations in an event at the Ulster Museum, Belfast. Ulster Museum’s World Space Week event information: http://nmni.com/um
- Mexico begins its World Space Week celebrations early this year with the premiere of the movie The Martian and exhibition effects to simulate zero gravity. They also inaugurate the congress of Mexico on Monday 5 October, with a ceremony and a press conference and The Mexican Space Agency is hosting the ‘Forces of Nature‘ photographic exhibition, as seen from space.
- India: Sounding rockets will sear the skies at Vikram Sarabhai Space Centre (VSSC) during the World Space Week 2015 celebrations. Various competitions have also been arranged for schoolchildren in connection with the event jointly organized by the ISRO units of Thiruvananthapuram. See here for more information and events: www.timesofindia.indiatimes.com
- Ireland: This year CIT Blackrock Castle Observatory, Cork have partnered with the Dunsink Observatory and Lough Gur to celebrate WSW together with the students of Ireland. Through their specifically created workshops in association with ESERO Ireland they will use the European Space Agency’s (ESA) data to inspire students and increase awareness of the importance of space exploration. More information at: www.bco.ie
- The Visit is a documentary-style film, by Denmark-born Director Michael Madsen, which shows how Government agencies try to cope with human mankind’s first contact with alien life. The Visit on IMDB
- The Space Foundation will be celebrating World Space Week with former NASA astronaut, Dr. Leroy Chiao. Chiao will be visiting the Discovery Center, signing autographs and inspiring the next generation of space explorers, already being referred to as the Mars Generation, because today’s youth will likely be the first to step foot on the Red Planet. More information at: www.spacefoundation.org/media/space-watch/world-space-week-celebrations
- Cubes in Space Global Design Competition 2015 Winners announced and the MPAC Group also announced its continued support for the 2016 program, whose launch will take place in London, England during World Space Week.
World Space Week 2015 in the News
Please click on the media channels below, for links to specific stories.
- Nasa astronaut lands in Northern Ireland for World Space Week events: Belfast Telegraph, UTV, Northern Ireland Executive
- Space Week fete begins: The Hindu, NYOOOZ
- Discovery Channel Store celebrates WSW2015
- Bolivia events 2015: Bolivia Boletin octubre 2015