World Space Week is a UN declared celebration of space held annually, every October 4 to 10. It is the largest space event on Earth, with over 8,000 events reported in 2019 and held in 96 countries. These events are organized by thousands of organizations, including space agencies, aerospace companies, astronomy clubs and museums. In 2020, World Space Week is dedicated to satellites and their broad benefits under the theme “Satellites improve life.”
Despite the global pandemic, there are safe and exciting ways to participate and celebrate World Space Week. The Highlights section showcases some of the creative, innovative and popular events bringing people together to celebrate space.
- Celebrate World Space Week and its theme of Satellites Improve Life by simply looking up and observing satellites from home
- The United Nations Office for Outer Space Affairs (UNOOSA) will be organizing a webinar series on “Satellites to improve lives”
- Expo 2020 Dubai will host virtual ‘Space Week’ on 5 – 6 October, 2020 in association with the UAE Space Agency
- Space4Women will be hosting a special World Space Week online event on the topic of Using Satellites to Improve Lives
- The International Telecommunication Union will be organizing a webinar on the topic of Non-Geostationary Satellite Systems: entering into the era of broadband service delivery on October 07. 15h00 -16h30 CET
- The International Astronomical Union & Shaw Foundation will be hosting the 2020 Workshop on Astronomy for Education, organised by the IAU Office of Astronomy for Education, which will focus on an overview of education world wide. It will be a fully online, virtual experience that will take place 6 – 9 October 2020
- Space Foundation to celebrate World Space Week with a weeklong series of virtual and in-person events under the banner “Space Unites”
- SpaceWatch.Global will be organizing a special webinar on October 8 to launch ”Moriba’s Vox Populi” to discuss topics of relevance to space safety, security, and sustainability
- SpaceWatch.Global will organize a Space Café WebTalk on October 6 featuring Fahad Al Mheiri, Acting Executive Director – Space Sector United Arab Emirates Space Agency
- SMART Edu Club will organize a Space Week Workshop on October 8 with a 1 hour session filled with discoveries and activities for children aged 7 and higher
- Women in Aerospace Europe (WIA-E) invite people from around the globe to participate in the virtual events organised by their Local Groups throughout Europe.
- Society for Space Education, Research and Development (SSERD) will be organizing a 7-day (Oct 4-10) FREE Online Program for students of all ages, which will include lectures, workshops, competitions, and hackathons.
- World Space Week Portugal plans to prepare a book of articles by students and companies/organisations on space related issues
As an official partner to World Space Week (WSW) 2020, the Satellite Industry Association (SIA) will be helping the World Space Week Association promote WSW, a U.N. declared celebration of space. Every year, the World Space Week Association selects a theme as a guidance for celebration. WSW will take place from October 4th – 10th and this year the event will be dedicated to satellites and their broad benefits under the theme “Satellites Improve Life.” SIA and many of its members will celebrate this year’s week. SIA will do so via a social media campaign with messaging focusing on compelling statistics or ideas that support the 2020 WSW theme “Satellites Improve Life” – tagging messages with #WSW2020, @WorldSpaceWeek and #SatellitesImproveLife. SIA members supporting WSW via messaging and events can also use the specially created banners celebrating World Space Week 2020.