World Space Week 2019
Theme: The Moon Gateway To The Stars
A total of 8,057 WSW events were reported in the calendar this
Events of 2019
Highlights of World Space Week 2019
World Space Week witnessed a record number of events across the world in 2019. WSW coordinators, volunteers, supporters, sponsors and participants organized more than 8,000 events in 96 countries. It encompassed an incredible diversity of events celebrating the theme of “The Moon: Gateway to the Stars”. This section showcases some of the creative, innovative and popular events that brought people together to celebrate space.
- Cruise liner Cunard conducted its annual Transatlantic Space Week aboard its flagship Queen Mary 2, as it voyaged from Southampton to New York from Sep 26 to Oct 4, 2019. The journey featured a variety of space-themed experiences, including talks from distinguished space explorers and astronomers.
- UNOOSA celebrated #WSW2019 by offering a special dish inspired by the astronaut menu on the International Space Station every day at UN Vienna.
- RS&H Engineering in the United States featured profiles of some of its projects that will help serve NASA on the next frontier, from modifying the Vehicle Assembly Building to designing asteroid curation labs.
- ESA hosted its Open Day on October 6 at ESTEC in Noordwijk, the Netherlands. With the theme of ‘ESA to the Moon’, guests included 2 Apollo astronauts and an ESA astronaut.
- This year, World Space Week coincided with International Observe the Moon Night, an international celebration of lunar and planetary science, celestial observation, and the cultural and personal connections we have with our Moon.
- In Mexico, the National opening ceremony for World Space Week was held at the H. Escuela Naval Militar in Veracruz state, on October 4. It was attended by the State Governor, WSWA Board Chairman Dr. Javier Mendieta, Navy officers and others.
- SPACE Chennai in India conducted a series of public lunar telescopic observations for different groups – underprivileged kids, old age homes, women shelters, rural schools.
- To celebrate WSW, Samsung launched a handful of new space themed wallpapers for the Galaxy Note 10 and Galaxy S10 series.
- StarTalk Radio celebrated World Space Week with Neil deGrasse Tyson, Matt Kirshen, and Charles Liu answering fansubmitted Cosmic Queries.
- In Chile, Diego Portales School in collaboration with Chilean Air Force hosted the closing ceremony of World Space Week 2019.
- Space Resources Week was held in Luxembourg from 7-11 Oct, including a professional course, workshops, talks, documentary screening.
- Space Science Days by the Russian Academy of Sciences and Roscosmos State Corporation hosted “Road to Space. First all-Russian Space Education Conference” in Russia.